So I've been knee deep in frozen breast milk, poopy diapers, and the color pink for a while now. Fatherhood is pretty sweet, but it does take up a lot of my time. I think I have things more scheduled now, so posting should be back to normal. I think I'll have about 3 posts a week starting next week until July.
- Dad arrived at my house early- as usual. I noticed the McDonald's coffee in his hand and I asked him why in the hell would he go get breakfast without me.
- We arrived at McDonald's.
- Picked up The Great Stretchinsky. He hobbled his crippled ass to the car. I laugh at "The Savior of BF Goodrich." (A short story, but longer than the time I have to offer).
- Dad's famous 20/20 vision is put to the test as he somehow misses hitting the biggest fucking deer I have ever seen on highway 31. (Slight exaggeration... but what part?)
- We park.
- Bought the tickets and headed over to Gate B. No sign of anyone wanting to fight me or Stretch. All I saw was a few random people and about 9 cops. I then wondered- "Who is the crazier asshole? The anonymous poster for calling a challenge against a blogger and his buddy, or the blogger and his buddy for showing up to meet some crazed dumb ass reader?" It feels like a fatal attraction. I'm done with that shit.
- Walked over to Mike Frank's tailgate for Irish Eyes members. I post over there as "skelaton26". I greeted a busy Mike Frank and was told to drink up. We did indeed. Thanks for the beer Mike. I'll make sure to stop by more during the season.
- As I tried to walk into the stadium and hand my ticket to one of the ushers, 3 more ushers came over to me and demanded that I turned my shirt inside out. I wore my "Muck Fichigan" shirt. Needless to say, that my reaction to their overreaction was met with some stern warnings. I mean seriously. Muck? This is why the fun and electricity is gone from gameday. I told them I wasn't gay, so I would turn it inside out in the restroom instead of letting them drool over my delicious body. They followed me anyways. They never did take my ticket. Maybe I'll try a new shirt this fall.
- I met Eric of The Subway Alumni Show. Nice guy. Skinny as a crackhead though. Must be something in Magic Hat Beer. Eric and I agree- Nate Montana should be starting...
- BTW- The "Shirt" sucks in real life as well. Horrible.
- I'm not sure when it happened, but early in the game I caught more shit from the ushers. They made me take out what was an enjoyable dip of tobacco. I wasn't spitting on the person in front of me, and I wasn't spitting on the stairs or ground. I used a plastic water bottle. They said it was a city law. I googled it- I didn't find anything. There was like 1 usher for every 4 people there, so they probably needed something to do- but once again... seriously? I've been going to Notre Dame games since I was 19 and i started chewing during the game after they banned smoking inside the stadium all together ( I was a smoker until last June) and never was I reprimanded for chewing tobacco. I sat in a cloud of anger.
- They played the game.
Now, I could probably give you my opinions on the game itself, but after a week and a half- what's the point? I will say that the team speed on defense looked good, and the offensive line looks like they aren't lost in the wilderness with Moses. Other than that, it was as vanilla as you would expect from a public scrimmage that was orchestrated by Coach Weis. I should have drank more.
The NFL Draft means that football season is officially over... until July. For the 3rd time in 11 years, Notre Dame only had one player drafted (David Bruton- Broncos). The other two times were in 1998 ( Allen Rossum- Eagles) and in 2000 (Jarius Jackson- Broncos). That says a lot about the program for this past decade... and it ain't good. Five other players were signed as rookie free agents and another is weighing his options.
Next years draft could see a resurgence of draft picks with 6 seniors and possibly 6 or 7 juniors/5th year candidates. I'm not saying that 13 players will get drafted next year- that's stupid. But, there is always a possibility. I'm guessing 7. Still a high number, but what the hell. Denver might do us another favor or two.
Sorry about the Bagpipes. Since I've been posting lightly, I haven't had a "Bagpipe Monday" in a while. I hope this makes up for the lack of pipes these past few weeks.